Jumpsuits are relatively new to the commercial fashion industry. When they first came out, I had no idea what to do with them, if there were going to be flattering for my body type, how to style them properly, how to make them work for different seasons and how to pick the right one. That’s basically why I decided to write this blog post about how to wear a jumpsuit, with a bunch of styling tips and outfit ideas and guide you through the process of which one is right for you.
I hope you find it useful and leave my blog feeling inspired to create looks with whatever jumpsuit you may have. I recommend this closet staple as a key piece of my Summer capsule wardrobe. If you don’t have one, that’s ok. Read the post and learn about how to wear a jumpsuit for many different occasions, plus all the other questions I’m answering and only get one if you feel like you will get the most out of it. I’m not here to promote one-time outfits.
Ready? Let’s learn how to wear a jumpsuit!
In a hurry? Go straight to what you are looking for:
- When to wear a jumpsuit
- Different styles of jumpsuits
- How many jumpsuits do you need?
- How to pick the right jumpsuit for you
- Negative aspects about jumpsuits
- How tall or short should I be to wear a jumpsuit
- How to wear a jumpsuit casually – Outfit ideas
- How to wear a black jumpsuit
- How to dress up a jumpsuit
- How to wear a jumpsuit all year round
- How to accessorize a jumpsuit
- Final thoughts
- Related style posts you may also like
Estimated reading time: 14 minutes
When to wear a jumpsuit
Jumpsuits are suitable for pretty much any occasion. It depends of what kind of jumpsuit you have obviously, you would’t wear a strapless one for the office LOL. It’s important to learn how to style a jumpsuit properly and how to accessorize it for different occasions and seasons. That’s exactly what you will learn today!
If you pick the right kind of jumpsuit you can wear it for date night, for the office or to run errands on the weekends. They are as easy to style as a dress and I actually recommend you to treat them as a dress. A good jumpsuit can become your go-to piece when you don’t know what to wear if you learn all the things you can do with them and all the different ways you can style it!
Different styles of jumpsuits
There are many different styles of jumpsuits. I like most of them honestly, but not all of them are flattering on every body type and of course, not all of them are suitable for most occasions. Even though there are many different styles of jumpsuits, to stay true to my values of having a minimalist wardrobe, I’m only going to share with you the ones you can get the most out of.
Here are the options I think you would be able to adapt to most occasions if you style them properly:
For example; I had this jumpsuit 4 years ago and even though it’s beautiful and elegant, there were not many ways I could style it because of the sleeves.
I basically only wore it twice and the only difference between both looks was a necklace. I couldn’t style it casually because the length only worked with high heels. I’m only sharing this to help you see that even though there are beautiful options out there, not all of them are going to be versatile. My goal with this blog is not only to help you maximize what’s already in your closet, but also to help you choose the right pieces.
How many jumpsuits do you need?
This is hard. I’m all about having a minimalistic wardrobe and capsule wardrobes for each season, so I’m going to say that if you really use them and get the most out of your jumpsuits, you only need 2. If you don’t think you will wear them that often, then just have one. Hopefully after reading this post you will learn how to style a jumpsuit in many different ways and you can decide if you need one or two.
How to pick the right jumpsuit for you
What type of jumpsuit you choose to have will depend on your style and body type. Here are some questions you need to ask yourself and my advice to each question:
- Wide leg, straight or skinny? Wide legs can be super flattering on curvy body types like my own, but straight and skinny ones can be used with any shoes (because of the length). Plus, skinny ones get brownie points when using public restrooms (you’ll see why in the next question LOL).
- Printed or solid? This depends on your taste of course. I have one of each; a black one and a striped one. Both are fine honestly, just keep in mind there’s so much more you can do with a solid one.
- Dressy or casual? Up to your lifestyle, but really great if you can find a good middle. This way you can dress them up or down according to the occasion. I think most of the ones I suggested above, fall into this sweet middle spot.
- Which fabric? This will depend on where you live and what you want to use it for. I love a good denim jumpsuit as well as just a plain cotton one. Keep the fabric in mind if you plan to wear it for the office.
- Short or long? Technically, if they are short they are called rompers. Jumpsuits are only long. However, they can be capri length, ankle length or regular length. I personally don’t like capris because they make me look shorter, but I recommend ankle length or long. It just depends if you are wearing heels or flat shoes.
- How about the sleeves? As you saw from the example above, I think plain sleeves or sleeveless are the only ways to go if you want to get the most out of it. Of course there are many beautiful options out there, but it’s better for your pocket and the planet to pick one or two that you can style in multiple ways for all seasons.
One thing to keep in mind is to make sure they accentuate your waist. Sometimes they can be a little baggy and that’s not flattering for anyone. There are quite a few things to keep in mind, and that’s why I do recommend having 2 jumpsuits that are very different from each other.
Negative aspects about jumpsuits
This was a surprise to me and I learned it the hard way.
Jumpsuits are not exactly comfortable when you need to use the restroom LOL. I also don’t like when they are wide legged, since you have to pull them down when you are using a public restroom and the hem touches the -sometimes- wet floor. We all know that’s not water!
Obviously this is no reason not to get a jumpsuit. I have 2 and one of them is a wide legged one, so…. here’s what you need to remember:
Roll it up (the hem) before you pull it down (the jumpsuit). You know what I’m saying? Just keep that in mind ;)
How tall or short should I be to wear a jumpsuit
I don’t think there’s a minimum or maximum height in order to wear a jumpsuit and look good. They can be flattering on any body type.
If you are short, a solid color or vertical stripes would look better I think. It also depends on what shoes you wear with it. If you are tall, just keep in mind you most likely would have to shop for tall sizes since it won’t be hard for a jumpsuit to be short on you.
Keep the length in mind when buying a jumpsuit and if you do need to have it fixed, you’ll have to take the length measurements with the shoes you’ll wear the most. This only applies to straight or wide leg jumpsuits. An advantage of the skinny ones is that you can wear it with any shoes, so keep that in mind!
How to wear a jumpsuit casually – Jumpsuit outfit ideas
So, this is my striped jumpsuit. I’ve had for 3 years or so and I still wouldn’t replace it. I think I made the right choice with the print and colors. I always pack it when I travel because it’s a really easy outfit to put together and it doesn’t take much space out of my suitcase.
Similar striped jumpsuit – Similar sandals – Tassel earrings
Another way to style it is to layer it like I did here. I know it’s not the best photo, but I still decided to share it to show you that you can also layer it with a button down shirt and do a front knot. In this case I added a denim jacket, but you definitely don’t have to.
Sneakers – Jumpsuit – Button Down Shirt – Denim Jacket
Another way I styled it for a different occasion, was with a denim jacket and sandals. It’s very simple and you can never go wrong by styling anything with a denim jacket:
Also read: 70+ outfits with a jean jacket for every season
Similar striped jumpsuit here – Sandals – Denim jacket
How to wear a black jumpsuit – Black jumpsuit outfit ideas
This is my black jumpsuit. It’s so good that I already packed it for my trip around the world. Poor thing has been inside a suitcase for the past 2 years! For those of you that don’t know, me and my husband are planning to travel the world. We were ready to leave in 2020 but then COVID happened and then I had some issues with my green card and Venezuelan passport, so we are living in Airbnb’s all over the US while we wait for things to align :)
ANYWAYS…. having a black jumpsuit is the way to go in my opinion.
Similar black jumpsuit here – Similar sandals here – Similar hat here – Denim jacket
Keep in mind you can also throw a button down shirt over it (any color will work) or a blazer and wear it for the office. More on that below.
Here’s another example of a beautiful black jumpsuit I had, but I couldn’t style in many different ways. It’s definitely beautiful, but there’s pretty much only one way to wear it and that’s not exactly useful.
How to dress up a jumpsuit
With the right shoes and accessories! This is true for any piece you want to dress up.This is why I recommend having a jumpsuit that you can dress up or down as you please.
To dress up a jumpsuit, you have many options:
- You can add a blazer or jacket and pumps
- Add a statement necklace or earrings and sandals
- Or something as simple as doing your hair and makeup
How to style jumpsuits all year round (tips and tricks)
I think this is the answer for a lot of the pieces you can wear all year round; wear layers! What kind of layers and accessories you wear will depend on what you have available, the occasion and of course, your personal style. Here are some tips and tricks on how to wear a jumpsuit for each season and a few occasions:
Styling tips for Summer:
The easiest way to wear a jumpsuit during Summer is not to add layers, just wear it as it is. However, to make it look different you have to learn how to play with accessories. If you are just running errands just wear it with flat sandals or sneakers. If you are going out, add a cool necklace or statement earrings and sandals. If you want to make it look cool add a hat and a denim jacket or even a belt.
Styling tips for Fall:
Layers! Pair it with a moto jacket. Wear it with booties. You can even throw a sweater over it and make your jumpsuit look like pants. Layer it with a flannel shirt and a puffer vest. And don’t forget your scarves!!
Styling tips for Winter:
I don’t think I remember wearing a jumpsuit for Winter. The ones I have don’t work that well when it’s really cold outside. However, if I had one I could wear for Winter, I would try to wear warm tights underneath and a sweater over it. Another way to make it look cool is to wear a long sleeve top underneath. Consider adding a beanie and booties too.
Styling tips for Spring:
Wear it with espadrilles and a denim jacket. Incorporate a lightweight floral scarf. Layer it with a button down shirt and tie it around your waist.
Styling tips for the office:
It’s super simple, add a blazer and heels or apply the button down shirt trick, or both! A lot of the styling tricks you apply for other seasons will work here too. Like adding a sweater or a top underneath.
Styling tips for date night:
Consider sexy heels or adding a lace bralette underneath. Add a bold lipstick and you are good to go! Trust me, it never fails!
How to accessorize a jumpsuit
It can be so fun to accessorize a jumpsuit, especially a solid colored one. You can have fun with statement earrings, a necklace, a hat, a belt, a scarf, a neck or head scarf, a headband and even your shoes can make a difference!
In order to properly accessorize your jumpsuit keep these 2 things in mind:
- Pick a maximum of 2 accessories. Don’t over do it!
- Only one should be a statement piece
As you can see, there’s a lot you can do with jumpsuits. I’m so happy they are everywhere these days and we have so many options to choose from that are available to us. That being said though, it’s easier than ever to constantly shop and accumulate many if we don’t pay attention to our spending.
I’m such an advocate for smart shopping. It’s better for the planet and for yourself too. You will free up so much time and space off your mind and will be able to save a lot of money for things that actually matter. Yes, I believe dressing well has a significant impact in the way we feel and act everyday, but you definitely don’t need a massive closet for that.
I hope you find my blog useful to learn how to live with less things and to really maximize every single piece you have in your closet. And I hope you also learned how to wear a jumpsuit today. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out in the comments or DM me on Instagram. I’m here to help with any questions you have. I mean that!
Thanks so much for stopping by. Hope you have a great day ahead! :)
Did you learn how to wear a jumpsuit today? Please share it on Pinterest!
Other style posts you may also find useful:
- How to build a minimalist wardrobe – Differences between a capsule wardrobe and a minimalistic wardrobe
- How to create a Summer capsule wardrobe with just 25 pieces
- How to build your own capsule wardrobe for fall + outfit ideas
- Outfit ideas for the office – 80 looks to recreate
- 60+ outfits with white sneakers and how to recreate them with things you have in your closet
- How to style a midi skirt + outfit ideas
- 8 things you can do with a white button down shirt + 28 outfit ideas for every occasion
- How to style a white T-shirt
- Ethical brands to support organized by category
- Read this Spanx Leggings Review before you spend a dime!
- How to style a white blazer – 10 white blazer outfits for 2021
Leave a Reply