“We keep moving forward, opening new doors and doing new things, because we are curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths”
Hello Everyone! Wasn’t Walt Disney a genius?
Today is the last day of 2015 and in less than 24 hours a new year will begin. It’s definitely up to us to make it a good one. Last week I wrote down my personal goals for the upcoming year, but when I thought they were ready to be shared, I was lucky enough to experience an amazing message at Church, that really helped me to pimp out those New Year’s resolutions.
This Holiday season has been rough on me. I’ve been lucky enough to spend it with my family, but I’m still missing a huge part of myself. A part that has never been away since I was 15 years old. Anyway, I had a lot of quiet and thinking time (in my couch mostly), which I used to finally write down some kick-ass goals for 2016. Initially, they were 10, but after last Sunday I was able to simplify them to only 5. So, here they are, plus a little advice on every one of them for you and for myself according to what I’ve been through:
- I will have ‘Good Eyes’: My number one priority. I will train my mind to see the good in everything, even when is not obvious. I’m usually really good at this, but I have to admit that for the past few months I haven’t exactly been doing it. There’s something good behind everything, I’m telling you. Look for the good, surround with the good, live for the good. Look for the good in yourself and obsess about it instead of focusing on the things you don’t like. Look at yourself through the eyes of the people that love you. Once you start seeing the good in everything and start being grateful, you will only attract joy to your life. Friends, relationships, work, lifestyle. You name it.
- I will not compare myself to others: 100% guilty of this one! By being in this ‘social media’ world, is really easy for you to start comparing yourself to other piers. Truth is, that through your eyes, there’s always going to be someone skinnier, prettier, smarter, wealthiest or with their shit more together than yours, but remember that no one’s life is perfect. If you find yourself constantly doing this, you will never be happy. Focus on YOU. Be better than YOU. Compare yourself now, to who you were a month or a year ago and concentrate on competing with yourself only. I promise, it will make your life a lot easier and you’ll be happier. Is that simple. Always remember that everyone’s journey is different.
- I will try to live a healthier lifestyle: This one’s a hard one, because I not only mean healthier with the obvious, which is food and working out. I mean it with my emotions as well. 2015 was a very emotional year for me and I think that living in a emotional rollercoaster, led me to step away from eating healthy and working out. It was almost like I’ve been punishing myself for something, but my body doesn’t deserve to be treated that way. I’m 100% an emotional eater and I like to lay on my couch (A little too much) for days watching TV, so definitely what I need to control the most this upcoming year in order to be healthier, are my emotions.
- I will start saying YES a lot more: Believe or not, I’m a very shy person. Strangers, going to events and meeting new people gives me anxiety. I often find myself making excuses not to go somewhere, because I know I’ll have to talk to strangers and I don’t like it. However, once I get out and start talking with people I feel comfortable with, I won’t shut up, seriously. In English or Spanish, I just never shut up. So, I’ve come to the conclusion that going out for me is like going to the gym. At first you don’t want to, and it’s almost painful to get dressed and ready, but once you’re there you realized that all is good and you actually had fun! Some of the best people I’ve met this year were complete strangers and I’m so thankful to have them in my life because they just make my world brighter and better, so I will say yes to new things and new people on 2016 and I think you should too.
- I will do more of what I love: It’s hard not to be generic with this one. But I gave it a lot of thought and realized that the things I love the most are present in my daily routine. For example, l love living in Chicago. It may sound stupid but living here feels like a dream come true and sometimes I take it for granted. So, simple things like enjoying where you are can make all the difference. As I mention on my post ‘Do Not Settle’, I don’t love every little aspect of my life right now, but being able to understand that everything I’m going through is happening for a reason, gives me some sort of comfort. No matter your situation, remember that in life you need to live all kinds of experiences and anything that helps to build your character is worth living. Live and enjoy what you have today, you will be able to connect the dots in the future.
Of course I have a few more specific goals for the first 3 months of the year, but in general these five resolutions will rule my life from now on. I learned that when you sit down and really think about what you truly want for your life, you are able to write more decent goals that end up becoming more like a lifestyle. For example, a couple of years ago I challenge myself to follow my heart, to live the life of my dreams and to be grateful every single day. Those principles rule my life now, so I don’t need to add any of them to my ‘To-Do’ list for 2016, but I sure can give them a little upgrade.
Ok, so now the fashion. I wore white for this post, because of what it represents. According to color phsycology, the color white represents purity, innocence, wholeness and completion. I’ll ignore the first two nouns for obvious reasons, and focus instead in the wholeness and completion part. To me white represents new beginnings. The first thing that comes to my mind is a blank canvas waiting to be written upon, and that’s exactly what a new year represents: the opportunity to start all over again and start living the life of your dreams.
I hope to stay focused to accomplish each and every one of my resolutions and hope you do as well.
So tell me, what are some of the things you want to change in 2016?
Have a great NYE and an inspiring 2016. I declare it: This will be the best year of my life! And declare it every year, because it means that things will only get better! 😉
Thank you so much for stopping by,
SHOP THE LOOK