How to layer like a pro! 5 pieces – 10 Fall looks
Oh layers…. this is the only good side of cold weather LOL
I love layering because I hate being cold and I like to look cute, so I have to be creative.
For today I chose 5 layering pieces I wear all the time. You can, of course, add a coat and tights to all of these looks, but I didn’t do it because I do use VIA a lot this time of the year, so I don’t really mind not wearing a coat or tights because I’m not outside that much. You feel me? I’m all about being warm while indoors LOL that’s why you will rarely see me wearing a short sleeve outside Spring and Summer.
Anyways, here are the 10 looks I created with 5 layering pieces. Styling from left to right:
- A long vest
- A tweed jacket
- A long cardi
- A lightweight trench
- A sleeveless coat
So, all of these pieces I’m wearing (from head to toe) are old. They were already in my closet and I’m just pushing myself to be creative and recycle as much as possible what’s in there. I’ve been telling you guys, buy basic pieces that you can mix & match and you will save yourself so much space and money.
So, without further ado, here are the the links, some styling tips and all the looks by piece. Enjoy!
- A long vest: This one is from Express. Such a classic. I got it when I first moved here almost 5 years ago and it’s still intact. I think it adds a little something extra to pretty much any look. I have another long vest in green but it’s much more casual than this one. I’ve styled both A LOT on my Instagram. You can browse my highlights and find all my looks organized by piece. It’s super useful!
Notice that I’m wearing these black booties (also from Express) in a lot of my looks this week.
- A tweed jacket: Another classic that will never go out of style. This one is from Zara and it’s also an oldie from 3 or 4 years ago. I rarely wear it because it’s more for like the office, that’s why I forced myself to create 2 looks that I would wear for meetings, events or even date night.
Tweed jackets make you look chic and classy, and you should consider investing in one and keep it forever. I’m dying to get another one in a dark color, but you all know I’m trying to be good with shopping! I doubt I’ll bring this jacket on my trip around the world so for now it’s a big NO NO!
- A long cozy cardi: This cardi was such a steal! I got it at Shein last year for like $15 and I’m 99% sure I only have 3 cardis like this one that I never take off during Fall & Winter. I love long cardis because you can dress them up or down like I did here and they cover my butt and hips LOL
If you don’t have one, please please consider it adding it to your capsule wardrobe. You won’t regret it! I recommend you choose a neutral color so you can make the most out of it.
- A lightweight trench: Another piece I absolutely adore!! It’s from Cupcakes & Cashmere and it was a little bit pricey (Like $180), but boy has it been worth it! I got it at a really really reaaaaaaally cool boutique in Oak Park called Sanem’s. The owner is a friend and she is just the best stylist! If you are in Chicago you should definitely check it out.
This trench is super soft and I love that I can wear it all year round because it’s lightweight and the color is perfection! I found out that my pink faux fur vest is almost the same color, so I added an extra layer and I think it looks really cute! What do you guys think?
- A sleeveless coat: I know what you are thinking, is there such thing? HAHAHA well yes, there is. A sleeveless coat (I believe they’re called) is pretty darn cute! I’ve had this one since the first year I moved here. It’s from Topshop. I’ve styled it in here in the past, but the photos are so bad that I won’t even share the link LOL. It was a long time ago!
Anyways, I’m happy this piece has survived all of my closet cleanups because I wear it a lot this time of the year. Just look at how versatile it is… and just like the long vest from the first photo, this piece really upgrades any look. And the best part? You don’t have to take it off when you are indoors 🙂
PS: It’s also super warm. If it’s not too cold outside you don’t need to wear a coat at all!
So, any thoughts? Any favorites? Let me know in the comments below!
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post. I hope it inspires you to shop smarter, to get creative with something you already have in your closet and to recreate some of these looks 🙂
God bless your week!!!!