I thought this was going to be a hard post to write and publish. As a full time blogger, by putting these words out there I’m basically closing a lot of doors. Doors I used to care about, but after given it a lot of thought, why should I even care? If the following brands or businesses are not aligned with my values and principles, then what’s the problem? Also, I’ve already said no to work with them when they contacted me, so this post is basically just for you guys to know what’s up and what I stand for.
Truth is, I’ve never gotten so many of the wrong type of offers and collaborations as I have lately and that’s why I wanted to share with you some of the things you will never see here on WOS.
I know most people think that us bloggers, say yes to all the offers we get, but in my case this could not be more far away from the truth. I don’t want to speak for all the bloggers out there, but I’m sure that 95% of them struggle to find the right brands to work with, and they for sure say more “No, thank you” than “Yes, please”.
I’ve said before, I actually try and test absolutely everything I talk about, sponsored and not sponsored. That’s why I started posting more about the things I use, do and like on my stories, so you guys can see that I actually use all these things I share with you!
I wrote an article last week called ‘REFLECTING ON WOS – WHAT TO EXPECT MOVING FORWARD’ where I point out the type of businesses and partnerships I will pursue from now on. However, I think it’s just as important to share which brands or business I will never promote here.
Also, I want to be very clear. This is not an attack to people who do any of these things and work with any of these brands. We can’t all care about the same things and we all have different values and beliefs. I do a million things wrong every day. What matters in the end, is that YOU stand for what YOU believe in. That’s all. So please, don’t take this post the wrong way. I am just being public about brands and products you won’t see here on Ways of Style.
- Tobacco, electronic cigarettes, vaping, etc: I used to be a smoker. For a long time. Even when I first started this blog, I still smoked. Even back then, I would have never promoted any product related to smoking, because well, it’s just so terribly bad for you. I don’t want to encourage young people to be stupid like I was.
- People, US weekly or any gossip magazine: I’m sure you’ve seen these campaigns, the ‘treat-yourself’ approach after a hard week or day, but for me I don’t know… It just feels wrong to support a business that’s making millions out of someone’s personal life without their authorization. I used to be addicted to these magazines a few years ago, now it just doesn’t do it for me.
- Anything overly sexual: This is usually for lingerie brands. Not that I wouldn’t promote them, but if the type of content they want me to create is just plain slutty, then that’s not the right fit for me. I think these things can be done in a classy way and still be beautiful. There’s nothing I love more than sexy lingerie.
- Sex toys: Nothing against them, I just wouldn’t talk about that publicly. My dad follows me on Instagram LOL and I feel like it would encourage creepy guys to send me DMs.
- Deodorants that are not natural: You’ve followed my journey with this on Instagram. I’ve been using natural deodorant for a year now and I have finally found a couple that work perfectly, so why promote the other alternative? I’m sticking to the 2 brands that worked for me; Humankind and Honestly Phresh.
- McDonald’s: I don’t care how many cool tours they do, “healthy menu’s” they create, I just think it’s really bad for you and I never ever would eat there, so why promote it? No thank you. I also dislike very much the way they grew their business. Not cool at all. And this is not an attack on fast food in general (I occasionally get my fix LOL), it’s just that I hate McDonald’s so much!!!
- Eye makeup remover: Nothing against it… It’s just that I’ve been using baby or coconut oil since I can remember and I would never spend my money on anything else. And if I wouldn’t spend my money on it, I wouldn’t recommend you to do the same. Just use baby or coconut oil. It’s natural, cheap and it does the work just fine. I have my mom as a living proof that this things works throughout the years. Her skin is flawless.
- Fat/weight loss products: Back in the day when I first started my blog, I did a promotion for one of those teas.. I felt so bad, and promised myself I never ever wanted to feel that way again. I knew I was promoting something that didn’t work and that by any means was going to give you a flat stomach in 2 weeks. I learned my lesson and said no to them earlier this year.
- Cruises: This one was hard for me to say not to, because they offered a lot of money (twice!), plus traveling… But they are so so so sooooo bad for the environment and for tourism, I just couldn’t do it. I’ve only done one cruise in my life and it was way before I knew they were bad. I didn’t even like it anyways. You’re basically on a boat eating and drinking mindlessly the whole time. No, thanks.
- Fashion week: When and if the fashion industry does something to be less of a burden to our planet and understands that it is possible to make clothing ethically, then why not? Until then, I really don’t want to support it in any way.
These were top of my head, but I get so many other ones about products I just won’t use anymore like some cleaning products, laundry detergents, period products, random products to post un unboxing videos, apps… so many things that are just not the best fit for WOS.
I receive between 10-20 daily emails from brands that want to work with me. I’m so grateful for it, but if at the end of each week, I close on 1 or 2 deals that’s considered an amazing week for me. It’s so hard to find a brand that’s a good fit for me and if I do, then it’s even harder to have them pay me what I’m worth, give me enough time to try the product and give me creative freedom to take the photos and write about them. So please, next time you see a sponsored post on my blog (and on the majority of influencers out there), know that there were a lot of hours and hard work, back and forth and a lot of waiting before you could see the final photo. It’s not as easy as you think, but I wouldn’t change it for the world.
I’m working on another post called ‘Buy this instead of this’ where I’m sharing more brands I won’t support anymore despite having spent a lot of money on them, and providing you with similar options that are better for your body and for the planet.
Hope this helps you to know me and my brand a little better 🙂 If you have any questions, do not hesitate to leave them in the comments below. Also, if there are any brands you don’t support, feel free to share them and tell me why. I’d love to know! (and maybe add them to my list too!)
Have the best day and thanks so much for stopping by!